Sunday, August 31, 2008

How To: Triple Chocolate Raspberry Tart

This tart consists of a Chocolate Cookie Crust, Raspberry Jam, White or Dark Chocolate filled Raspberries, Light Chocolate Cream and Dark Ganache.


This is one of my favorites because it's simple to make and people are easily impressed with it. While most of my creations require exactness this one is meant to impart an idea. I'm usually making several tarts at once and the size of the pans vary. This is why I don't give exact amounts of the ingredients. As you read on you'll see why you don't really need a recipe.

I make the Ganache first so it has time to set up a bit. For Dark Ganache, I like Ghirardelli's 60% Dark Chocolate because the quality is good and it's not overly bitter. I use 12 oz. of chopped Chocolate to each cup of Heavy Cream. (Make sure it's Heavy Whipping Cream...or there is a large chance that the Ganache won't set.) I put the chocolate pieces in a glass bowl while the Cream goes into a large sauce pan over medium heat. I add 2 tablespoons of Butter and 1 tablespoon of white sugar for each cup of Cream used. It gets heated until hot but not boiling. I make sure to keep an eye on the Cream once the butter is melted because it will overflow in a millisecond. The hot Cream gets poured over the chocolate. I let it sit without stirring until the chocolate is melted and then I whisk it carefully until the Ganache comes together.

The crust is super easy. I use either Oreos or Nabisco's Famous Chocolate Wafers - Oreo's are cheaper but they take more work because you have to scrape them. I use a food processor to whiz them into crumbs along with a couple of tablespoons of white sugar and a nice pinch of salt. Then I put the crumbs into a bowl and pour in some melted butter. I know I have enough when a handful of the crumbs clumps lightly. (You could do this in the processor and save yourself a dish but I find that it's really easy to add too much butter - I like the hands-on approach for more control.)

I press a thick layer of crumbs into bottom and sides of a loose bottom tart pan and bake it at 350 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes or just until the surface is set. I like using a rectangular pan like the one below. I can easily cut it into slices or smaller for dessert buffets.




Once the crust has cooled, I spread on a thin layer of Seedless Raspberry Jam. (This is a little detail that adds a nice punch of concentrated flavor.) If I don't have Jam on hand, I use a bit of the Ganache instead. The Crust gets chilled until the the filling is done.

For the Chocolate Cream, I use equal parts Mascarpone Cheese and Sour Cream and I add just enough Heavy Cream to even out the texture. For a Light Chocolate Cream, I put a couple of tablespoons high quality cocoa and about a cup or so of powdered sugar in a seperate bowl. I mix in heavy cream a little at a time until there are no lumps and I've got a loose paste and then fold into the Cream mixture. Sweeten & Flavor to taste by adding more cocoa and sugar as desired. It takes less than you think to achieve a delicate chocolate flavor which I like because it makes for a nice contrast with the Ganache.

For a Darker Chocolate Cream, I fold a cup or more of Ganache into the Filling until I have the flavor I'm looking for. You have to be careful with Mascarpone because if you overwork it, it becomes grainy. If that starts to happen, adding in more Heavy Cream can sometimes save it.

And then onto my favorite part...
Melt down several ounces of a good quality white chocolate and pour it into a parchment cone. I fill each Raspberry and set them chocolate side down onto the crust. I do this until the most of the crust is covered with berries. Then I completely cover them with the Chocolate Cream. I pour Ganache over the top and spread it all the way to the edge. I chill it until the Ganache is set and then I decorate the top with more filled Raspberries drizzled with both Dark and White Chocolate.




The tart gets chilled one more time until all of the chocolate is set and then I unmold it gently by loosing the sides before I push it up. It should easily slide off the metal bottom. Slice & serve.

This tart is a show stopper. While this tart is great any time of year that Raspberries are beautiful, I like to make it at Christmas. I have a Christmas Tree Tart pan that looks awesome with the top covered in Raspberries or arranging them like swags of garland.

If I'm using Raspberries, I always fill them with something. It's a nice detail that gives the simplest of desserts that added wow factor. Any kind of Chocolate, Whipped Cream or even Nutella does the trick.



It's just wrong not to have a picture of my own to post but I've always been so terrible at that. I'll post a picture of this the next time I make it. Until then you'll just have to use your imagination or better yet...make your own!

No comments: